Saturday 3 April 2010

SALTERNS QUAY LOST ?

Salterns Quay had quite literally fallen off the map !

It has been under the radar since the salt trade on the south coast of England ground to a halt. I knew it existed cause I have tattered postcards dating from the 50's & 60's that tell me so. Google searching brought little of it's true location to the surface, and it didn't feature on any current maps or charts


It was on two wheels, with a fistful of postcards, a special vintage map, and a sunny day that I found it. Instead of salt quays there is tons of stuff dedicated to messing about on the water which is no bad thing. Can you imagine finding some crap Lego brick holiday homes with air tight plastic windows ?

As I rummaged around the boatyard I met a Mr Wilson who has owned the boatyard for over fifty years. He named every single boat featured in my postcards.  What a star !



I found the lost sign under a thicket of cover as I was leaving.


www.wilsonsboatyard.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment